Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A Man for all Seasons

I have a post card on the bulletin board above my desk that is a reproduction of a famous painting of Sir Thomas More by Hans Holbein the Younger. I viewed this breathtaking portrait firsthand at the Frick Gallery in NYC on a family vacation a few summers ago. It is an exquisite rendering of a an extraordinary human being, and the image keeps rewarding prolonged reflection, I can't wait to get back to see the original again. I remember Brennan Manning telling me that 'A Man For All Seasons' is his favourite movie, so I purchased a copy - it's well worth the view. More was an example of integrity; in the face of personal loss and ultimately, death, he stuck to his principles and gave the glory to God. While I'm equally fascinated by and sympathetic to fallen heroes with feet of clay, it's worth spending time with those who make the right choices and allow them to inspire us.

No comments: